Monday 28 November 2016

Day 5-7: Croatia Part 1


At the border of Croatia, I had to show my passport. Croatia did not accept the Schengen-Agreement. Fortunately, they didn’t search me because I had two pepper sprays with me. If you don’t declare them, you will be fined with 300,-€ per spray as I learned the next day. Anyway, I didn’t do it intentionally and I disposed the sprays two days later.
Instead of a fine, I got a friendly “Willkommen” from a smiling Croatian border officer. Northern Croatia was another surprise to me. There were so many vineyards that I almost felt like being at home.


In Croatia’s north-west, I drove down the west coast of Istria to Rovinj. I really needed a shower, but Istria was like deserted. Campsites, Restaurants, Tourist-Agencies and Exchange-Stores were closed. November is off-season… I was just too late. In Rovinj, I found another closed campsite, but the gate was opened. An older lady, living in a house in the middle of the site, allowed me to stay for the night.

I visited Rovinj during the evening and also the next morning. It is quite a nice town, but kind of artificial. During the summer probably crowded, in the off-season completely deserted. I saw roundabout 10 people during my 2-hour visit in the evening on a Saturday evening.
 

There was no possibility for a shower, but at least, I could organize a hostel for the next day and started a couchsurfing profile. That was a great recommendation of Ivan. During his ride from Spain to Slovenia, he payed for accommodation only three times.

After a quiet night, I left Rovinj and followed the coastline to Pula. Pula is known for its roman history which left a huge amphitheatre for example. But I was also excited about the big harbour. Huge cargo- and Ro-Ro-ships were being reconditioned.


After visiting Pula, i followed the coast in eastern direction and found a bikers paradise. Curves after curves, just pure joy. 5 kilometers before reaching Rijeka, a bicyclist out of Lidl. And who could it be? Ivan! He slept the night at the border and pushed fast forward to reach Rijeka, where a couchsurfing host waited for him. We planned to meet n the city later on. 

I drove to my hostel and experienced a lovely welcome at Darma Hostel. Neved and his wife took care of me. Because of a lucky situation, I got a private room with private bath. Great! I really enjoyed the hot shower.
The weather became stormy and I had no updates from Ivan. So I decided to have a look at the city on my own. Rijeka is not a big city, but there are a lot older houses and some modern art. I really liked the friendly atmosphere in the city.


 The next day, I started with a healthy and tasteful breakfast. Then I drove to the famous Isle Krk.


Krk is beautiful, but not that much of a difference to the rest of the Croatian coastline. I enjoyed the warm temperature and visited the town Krk itself. When the wind stopped, it almost felt like holiday in summer.


In the afternoon, I headed for Plitvicer Lakes. The Bora was really strong in the shore, but disappeared in the mountains. Instead, 30cm of appeared. I asked myself, if I was prepared well enough for this trip.


I arrived at the entrance of Plitvicer Lakes National Park at sundown and prepared my car for the cold night. I even spilled half of my water to assure that my water containers won’t splash if the content should freeze. Afterwards, I contacted Ben and we decided to meet at the entrance.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment